ARCHIVED: NOT AVAILABLE FOR CREDIT
Five Macro Challenges Facing the Lab Industry
Laboratorians are entering a time of great challenges and opportunity. Evolving at a rapid pace, laboratory medicine is improving productivity, increasing efficiency, and enhancing patient care. Laboratories can be a driving force in establishing future forms of healthcare delivery. Join Dr. Edward R. Ashwood as he discusses five challenges facing the industry and provides insight into successfully navigating the changing terrain.
The five macro challenges include:
- Increase in physician employment
- Integration of electronic medical records
- Decrease in doctor visits
- Changes in reimbursement
- Development of accountable care organizations (ACOs)
Originally presented March 22, 2012 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Edward R. Ashwood, MD
President and CEO, ARUP Laboratories
Professor of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine
Dr. Ashwood is the president and chief executive officer at ARUP and a professor of pathology at the University of Utah School of Medicine. Dr. Ashwood joined ARUP in 1985. He received his MD from the University of Colorado and completed a laboratory medicine residency in clinical pathology at the University of Washington. He is board certified in clinical and chemical pathology, and his research interests include the clinical chemistry of pregnancy. He is the co-editor of the Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry, and Fundamentals of Molecular Diagnostics.
After this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Understand the impact of healthcare reform on laboratory operations.
- Increase your value proposition as a healthcare leader to guide change.
- Support your organization’s advancement in the competitive healthcare field.
University of Utah School of Medicine and ARUP Laboratories